Flutter Kick has 2 Purposes:
- Propulsion: Approximately 10% of swimming speed comes form your kick.
- Body Stability: Kicking stabilises the body both left and right as well as keeping the body level in the water.
Common Flutter Kick Mistakes
- Large kick: legs kick too wide, creating more drag and resistance.
- Bicycle kick: knees bend too much, and the power generated by the hips is lost. Kicking with bend knees means that you only use power from your knees.
Flutter Kick Tips
- Relax your ankles.
- Only bend your knees slightly.
- Generate the kick from the hips.
- Keep the kick small and consistent.
This video demonstrates good flutter kick technique: